I was thinking this morning that I need to mix up some new frozen goodies for my pups as we are having another 97 degree, scorching hot day. The pups will definitely need something cool and delicious when they come inside (even a 5 minute potty trip heats them up very fast!)
These treats take just minutes to throw together with only three ingredients: coconut oil, a banana, and ground ginger. A frozen treat that has health benefits for your pup and can cool them down on a hot summer day.
- Coconut Oil – coconut oil is like nature’s medicine. It has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties that can greatly benefit your pup. To recap a bit from my post entitled “Coconut Oil: A Superfood For Your Dog”. Research shows that coconut oil helps improve digestion, aid in weight loss, increase nutrient absorption, improve skin health, and help fight doggy breath!
- Banana – bananas are a great source of potassium, fiber, magnesium, and other vitamins that can benefit your dog. Since bananas do contain natural sugar, your dog should only enjoy this fruit in moderation.
- Ginger – ginger is a super spice that’s been used for its medicinal purposes for nearly 2,000 years. Ginger can help soothe a dog’s upset stomach, relieve nausea, and ease motion sickness. Additionally, it can aid in digestion, has anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties!
- 1/2 cup melted unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- measure a 1/2 cup of coconut oil and then melt it in your microwave until it’s in liquid form
- mash your banana
- mix together the banana and coconut oil, until well combined (a thin pudding like consistency)
- add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger to and stir
- fill each bone (or whatever shape mold you are using) to the top
- freeze until set
Store in airtight container in your freezer.
ALWAYS consult your own Veterinarian before adding something new to your pups diet!
Recipe adapted from: