The best part about making homemade dog food is that you know exactly what is going into your pups bowl. It’s important to note that dogs have different nutritional requirements than humans for their proportional body size, such as:
- High-quality protein (meat, seafood, dairy or eggs)
- Fat (meat or oil)
- Carbohydrates (grains or vegetables)
- Calcium (dairy)
- Essential fatty acids (egg yolks or oatmeal)
The recipe I am sharing today has a balance of 50% protein, 25% veggies and 25% grains, but the ratios can easily be adjusted to suit your pup’s breed and/or needs.
Keep your dog healthy and fit with this easy homemade recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- cook rice
- heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat
- add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks
- stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and the cooked brown rice, until the spinach has wilted and everything is heated through
- allow to cool completely
Once you’ve made up a batch, you can divide it into single servings, and freeze it. When you are ready to serve, you can defrost it overnight in your refrigerator and warm it for 15-30 seconds in your microwave.
Recipe adapted from: